Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Something So Simple



It seems so simple, right? “Commit… and your plans will succeed.” My simple paraphrase of Proverbs 16:3. Easy-peasy. I’m committed. I have the journals, I even have a pen I can locate. I have the fabric sewn into blocks and a sewing machine at my disposal 24/7. I have a desire and a dream and a wish and even an audience… BUT…

I’m committed in that “someday I’ll  get to go on that three-day women’s only, no kids, no husbands, no dishes, no laundry, no chores retreat and really get going” kind of way. Three days to do the things I’m committed to: writing in the kids’ journals, finishing their quilts, reading an entire book for the sheer pleasure of sitting in a chair and not being interrupted, penning a few amateur-level, yet original, devotions that apply to our topic of study. ALL those things! But that retreat weekend has never made a miraculous appearance on my over-booked calendar. So onward like all Good Christian Soldiers, I march forth without another thought towards the goals I’m oh-so committed to and I go to bed at night feeling unfulfilled. A failure. Weak. Uncommitted.

How committed am I if I require the solitude of a three-day retreat to accomplish my goals?

I wake up refreshed, ready to tackle the day and my dreams. Today I’m going to write… BUT… there’s always an excuse, right?  I can’t write an original devotion for this week’s group (that meets tomorrow) because I have to **deep breath for dramatic effect** make breakfast, start laundry, drop off at school, grocery shop, clean out the fridge and then grocery put-away, fold those clothes, move laundry, do something meaningful with the little one, bathe the little one, feed him, make him take a nap, do a workout, pick up his sister from school, take them to the library and park, make supper, put those aforementioned clothes away, iron a shirt and pants and then… THEN, siiiiitttt dooowwwwnnn??? to eat dinner with my family? (And this is a slow and easy day?)
TODAY is the day. Today I’m derailing this excuse train and taking time for MY dreams. MY goals. Today is the day I pray about it. Today is the day I read the ENTIRE Bible verse: “Commit to the Lord, whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.” Proverbs 16:3 Ladies, that’s it. That’s the answer, THE LORD.

Grab your Bible, grab your journal, grab your protein shake or your latte, grab your kiddos and do something for you both of you all at once. Listen to the Lord’s message. Listen to his call for you to do something that he’s guiding you to do. 

Today’s “meaningful something” with the little one is a mid-morning trip to the park during which time he’s happy as a clam because he’s at “the spider park”, his all-time favorite park. And despite my deep loathing of sand parks, he is happy. And when that kid is happy, he can entertain himself for quite a few minutes in a row. Do you KNOW what you can do with multiple minutes all strung together seamlessly? Those minutes are precious. Yes, the minutes that you should, by some people's standards, be spending pushing him in a swing, oohing and ahhing over his flips and marveling at the innocent wonder and joy of his childhood… “because all too soon, those minutes will be gone and you’ll miss it…”. THOSE precious minutes, precious in so many ways, can be the minutes that get you started on making progress towards your goal of writing something. Yes, you might miss his 19millionth flip, or his wide eyes spying a bird in the sky (again, not the first time this has ever happened), but sometimes, just SOMEtimes, we need a few minutes for us. For OUR dreams, OUR wonder-filled moments of awe and excitement. 

So precious, sweet-sweet momma, find those minutes that YOU can use for YOU. Don’t feel guilty that super-mom at the next table is diligently home-schooling two kids, while her toddler plays happily and the infant sleeps in the moby wrap while you lounge in your sweaty workout clothes and “ignore” your kid and read your book and write your notes and do something for YOU. You did something for him… you didn’t stick him in front of Mickey Mouse for another 28 minutes, you took him outside for fresh air, sunshine and exercise! You took him to his favorite park. And then you took advantage of a few minutes to start on your dream instead of putting it off until he goes to college.

Dear Lord,
Thank you for another day to start fresh. A day to use to your glory and to get going on the dreams you’ve set before us. We praise you for the many talents and gifts you’ve given us. Guide us to the best use for those gifts, that we may bring glory to your name as we dare to dream and explore and take time to do your will. As we take time to do something to fill our cups and give us peace as we lay down our weary heads at night. Something that reminds us we are your wonderful creations, something that makes us feel fulfilled, strong, committed. Committed to you and your will.

 In Jesus’ name we pray.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment