Tuesday, October 7, 2014

This Boy



This boy. The one who tugs at my heartstrings in all the ways a little boy should. He’s infuriating and knows how to push that button. Every. Single. Time. He’s endearing and sweet and tenderhearted. His newest way to melt me like buttah… “You know who I love?... I love YOU!” Spread me on some bread, ya’ll. I just melted! 


Washington Irving is credited with saying, "There is an enduring tenderness in the love of a mother to a son that transcends all other affections of the heart."  Boy moms, how true is that?

I listened to a speaker a few short years ago when I may have been pregnant or Cassius might have even been a tiny baby, but the woman I was listening to was raving on and on about “my BOY”. Yes, in that way. “That’s my BOY!” and telling us how unique and incredible being a MOB member is. (Mothers of Boys) Inside I was rolling my eyes and wondering what this woman was on. Now I know. She was on that high that only a little boy can give you. Girls are awesome, don’t get me wrong. I love my Ella to pieces. She’s sweet and sincere, sassy and catty. All the things little girls are. But there’s something about the way a boy runs from room to room with reckless abandon, yelling about bad guys and “to the Batmobile!” that makes me smile inside and out. Making ladders out of broken off and discarded tree limbs, falling off and going after it again. Muddy knees, rocks in my dryer and that look of pure love when he slows down enough to say, “Momma, will you lay down with me for nap today?” Well, who can so “no” to starting that bad habit? Not this momma. I cherish those 15 or 20 minutes each day when we snuggle up tight and say “You know who I love?”

You know who God loves? You. Yes, YOU!!! Even with rocks in our pockets and mud on our knees, God loves us just the way we are.  John 3:15 reminds us just how much God loves each of us. 

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

Wow. Now THAT is a lot of love, ya’ll! I know how much I love my son. You know how much you love your sons and daughters. God loves us so much that he let his own son die for us. To save US. Unbelievable, right? There are no words to express how incredible that is! 
Jesus thrived under all the love he was given. He healed the sick, brought the dead back to life, turned water into wine, and taught the world about His father. Just think how much thriving our boys (and yes, our girls) will do when we extol upon them as much love as we feel! Isn’t it amazing? 

But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever. (Psalm 52:8)

Just like Jesus and our children we, too, can flourish when we trust in God’s unfailing love for us. He blessed us with special gifts. Now is our chance to identify them, trust in God’s will for our life and our abilities, and use them to God’s glory. Let’s flourish. Let’s shine. Let’s trust God and his plan for our lives.

Dear Lord,
Thank you for teaching us the true meaning of selfless, unconditional love. Your sacrifice was so great. So great we, as humans, are incapable of comprehending the extreme depth and width love you felt for us. Sacrificing your own son to save others who deny you, who curse you, who don’t listen when you tell us what to do. We are like the children the you have blessed us with. We don’t listen, we throw tantrums, we don’t always trust. Lord guide us to be more faithful and trusting so we may be like the olive tree in the house of God. This world is your house, help us flourish in it. 

In Jesus name we pray and praise and give thanks,
Amen.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! And I love that you are blogging!!! You will never regret taking the time to write and capture the moment, capture your heart in words. This is beautiful and I totally get the love for a son. I had a dear friend die last week and I know her kids really well who are all in college. The night after her funeral Elsie kept waking up with night terrors and I would run to her room and say, "It's okay! Mama is right here. Mama is here." And I was so sad thinking of my friend's kids all crying themselves to sleep without their mama there to comfort them. It was then that I caught another glimpse of how precious the love the Father has for us. We are his kids. It's a fierce love. Can't wait to read more of what you write!
    Joyfully,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becca! You make my heart sing with joy! You are such a true blessing to everyone in this life and I am so lucky to have worked with you and to have you as a friend! Thank you for the encouraging words! God bless, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassius' newest version of "You know who I love?" is now "This girl right here". *Heart Happy*

    ReplyDelete